How to buy Thrivent Mutual Funds

We’re delighted you’re considering Thrivent Mutual Funds. No matter how you buy, we’re here to help you invest with confidence.

Buy online through Thrivent Funds


You can open an account and purchase funds right on our site.

Why buy online?

  • Set up an account starting with as little as $50 per month1
  • Access your online account at your convenience.
  • Purchase funds without transaction fees or sales charges.


Buy through a financial professional


Need more guidance? Ask your financial professional about Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Why work with a financial professional?

  • Receive investment help from an experienced professional.
  • Build a relationship through in-person meetings.
  • Get help planning for life’s goals such as saving and retirement.

Additional fees may apply, when working with a financial professional.


Buy through an investment account


Our funds can be purchased through other online brokerage platforms. Search for Thrivent Mutual Funds when making your selections.

Why buy through a brokerage account?

  • Add Thrivent Mutual Funds to investments within your existing portfolio.
  • Take advantage of your account to keep your investments in one place.

Additional fees may apply.


Not quite ready?


We want you to invest your money wisely and with confidence. Here are some other options that may help you.


Need more help?


Call or email us.

M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT
Say “” for faster service. or,
Visit our support page



Now leaving


You're about to visit a site that is neither owned nor operated by Thrivent Mutual Funds.

In the interest of protecting your information, we recommend you review the privacy policies at your destination site.

Tax Resource Center

5498 IRA Tax Information

When you’ve made IRA contributions, rollovers, conversions, or recharacterizations to your accounts in a given tax year, Form 5498 will report this information to the IRS.

Who Gets It

Shareholders who made contributions, rollovers or recharacterizations to their traditional, SEP, Simple or Roth IRAs, or who made Roth IRA conversions.

If no contributions are made for the year, use your Dec. 31 year-end statement to obtain the fair market value of your account.


When It's Mailed

For traditional and Roth IRAs, with contributions, conversions, or rollovers, Thrivent Mutual Funds targets mail dates by January 31st.

IRA contributions made between Jan. 1 and the tax due date of the current year as a contribution for the previous tax year will generate a corrected 5498 tax form in the current year that will be mailed by May 31.  

If you want to make IRA contributions for the prior tax year, it must be postmarked by your tax return due date (generally April 15th) and designated as a contribution for the previous year.

For SEP or SIMPLE IRAs contributions from your employer, forms will be sent out in January.


What's In It

Expect to find the following:

  • contributions to traditional and Roth IRAs Rollovers made to IRAs
  • conversions from a traditional IRA, SEP IRA or SIMPLE IRA to a Roth IRA or qualified rollover contribution from an eligible retirement plan (other than IRA) to a Roth IRA
  • SEP and SIMPLE IRA contributions made through the employer during the calendar year
  • indications whether the IRA is subject to required minimum distributions (RMDs) in the following year
  • fair market value of IRAs as of Dec. 31
  • recharacterizations (changing or undoing a traditional IRA contribution from a Roth IRA contribution or vice versa)
  • special postponed contributions (Allied Force, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom and taxpayers affected by federally designated disaster areas)
  • repayment of a qualified reservist distribution or a designated disaster distribution repayment

How To Use It

Use Form 5498 to confirm amounts you needed to report on your tax return related to contributions and rollovers.

Box 11 indicates if your account is subject to minimum distribution requirements for the upcoming year. 

5498 IRA Tax Form Information

Refer to the instructions for IRS Form 1040 and IRS Form 8606 for more information. At Thrivent Mutual Funds, we recommend you consult your tax advisor to make sure you’re getting the most out of your investments. Thrivent Mutual Funds and their representatives cannot provide legal or tax advice.