Thrivent Mutual Funds’ 2016 Investor Mindset Report is a national study, which focuses on understanding investors’ financial priorities, and provides insights based on location, generation and gender.
Thrivent Mutual Funds Investor Mindset Report
Thrivent Mutual Funds’ Report summarizes findings from national survey participants across six key U.S. cities to provide an insider’s view into current investor’s mindsets at the regional and national level. Those cities include:
Research concludes that despite a rebound in the U.S. stock market, falling unemployment, and improvements in home sale prices, consumers have many concerns about saving for retirement.
Our infographic illustrates key national survey findings.
Highlights from Thrivent Mutual Funds’ national survey reveal that:
- The top financial priority for the national survey respondents was saving for retirement, followed by paying off debt and saving enough money to keep their family afloat through tough times.
- Respondents said their biggest fear regarding retirement was running out of money. Their second greatest concern was the increasing cost of health care.
- While U.S. baby boomers and Gen Xers are more worried about the rising cost of health care, nearly one in six millennials is concerned about being able to ever retire.
- U.S. baby boomers and Gen Xers are more likely to focus on saving for retirement, while millennials are more likely to make paying off debt their number one priority.
- Baby boomers are the generation most concerned about the increasing cost of health care, while nearly 40 percent of Gen Xers and about one-third of millennials fear running out of money in retirement.
Top Financial Priorities of Survey Respondents
Read the Investor Mindset Report Executive Summary for more insightsView Report
“Though saving for retirement is a clear financial priority, many people have feelings of guilt over not being able to save enough for their future and others wonder if it is even attainable. Another area of concern is that health care costs continue to increase at a greater rate than inflation. Given the increase in life expectancy, the loss of pensions and other defined benefit plans, and rising health care costs, it is more important than ever to establish retirement goals and start saving early.
To maximize your retirement savings, keep in mind that asset allocation and diversification can help you navigate your investments and the periodic changes in the financial market. There are many flexible investment options to consider, in order to meet your financial needs and feel confident about your retirement plan.”
Retirement Planning Tips from Thrivent Mutual Funds:
- Know what investment options are available to you.
- Asset allocation funds are a group of all-in-one funds with diversified portfolios of stocks and bonds. These funds are all about long-term growth within your risk tolerance (from aggressive to conservative). They’re a great option to consider to grow assets for retirement, education, a down payment on a house, or many other financial goals.
- Traditional and Roth IRAs are both great tax deferment vehicles. Roth IRAs are also a good investment when younger, as you can potentially take advantage of tax-free growth of your investment portfolio to help save more over the long term.
- Given increased life expectancy, growth funds like Income Plus Funds can help investors generate income well into retirement.
- For those with a financial surplus, consider giving to kids or charities, or putting your money into municipal bonds (income may be tax free), a life insurance product or a Roth IRA.
Read The Entire Executive SummaryView Report
Gain From Our Perspective
Get Our Investing Insights Newsletter in Your Inbox.Subscribe now
Gain From Our Perspective
Get Our Investing Insights Newsletter in Your Inbox.
Thanks for Signing Up!
Be sure to check your inbox for the Investing Insights newsletter to get the latest news and insights from Thrivent Mutual Funds.
Great news - you're on the list!
Looks like you're already on our mailing list. Be sure to check your inbox for the Investing Insights newsletter to get the latest news and insights from Thrivent Mutual Funds.