How to buy mutual funds from Thrivent

We’re delighted you’re considering Thrivent Mutual Funds. No matter how you buy, we’re here to help you invest with confidence.

Buy online through Thrivent Funds

You can open an account and purchase funds right on our site.

Why buy online?

  • Set up an account starting with as little as $50 per month1
  • Access your online account at your convenience.
  • Purchase funds without transaction fees or sales charges.


Buy through a financial professional

Need more guidance? Ask your financial professional about Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Why work with a financial professional?

  • Receive investment help from an experienced professional.
  • Build a relationship through in-person meetings.
  • Get help planning for life’s goals such as saving and retirement.

Additional fees may apply, when working with a financial professional.


Buy through an investment account

Our funds can be purchased through other online brokerage platforms. Search for Thrivent Mutual Funds when making your selections.

Why buy through a brokerage account?

  • Add Thrivent Mutual Funds to investments within your existing portfolio.
  • Take advantage of your account to keep your investments in one place.

Additional fees may apply.


Not quite ready?

We want you to invest your money wisely and with confidence. Here are some other options that may help you.


Need more help?

Call or email us.

M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT
Say “” for faster service. or,
Visit our support page


1 New accounts with a minimum investment amount of $50 are offered through the Thrivent Mutual Funds “automatic purchase plan.” Otherwise, the minimum initial investment requirement is $2,000 for non-retirement accounts and $1,000 for IRA or tax-deferred accounts, minimum subsequent investment requirement is $50 for all account types. $50 a month automatic investment does not apply to the Thrivent Money Market Fund or Thrivent Limited Maturity Bond Fund, which have a minimum monthly investment of $100.

Now leaving


You're about to visit a site that is neither owned nor operated by Thrivent Mutual Funds.

In the interest of protecting your information, we recommend you review the privacy policies at your destination site.

Looking to Learn More? Sign up for our Investing Insights newsletter. Subscribe

Thanks for Signing Up!

Be sure to check your inbox for the Investing Insights newsletter to get the latest news and insights from Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Well that's unexpected - your subscription request was not submitted. Please try again.

Great news - you're on the list!

Looks like you're already on our mailing list. Be sure to check your inbox for the Investing Insights newsletter to get the latest news and insights from Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Accounts to Help You Save for Kids

Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) Account

The Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) custodial account allows an adult to establish and manage assets for a minor child—including stocks and securities. Once the custodial savings account is established on behalf of the minor child, the assets are considered irrevocable gifts and must be transferred to the former minor upon reaching the state’s Age of Termination (generally age 21 but some states are age 18).

Once named, the minor child may not be changed on the account.

Why it may be right for you

UTMA accounts with Thrivent Mutual Funds offer low minimum contributions to our sophisticated yet simple funds, so it’s easy to get started. And by setting up a recurring investment plan, you can keep giving throughout the year.

Whereas other custodial accounts can only be used for educational expenses, assets established through UTMA can be used for the minor child's benefit in a variety of ways.

UTMA highlights


  • Unlimited
  • Not tax-deductible, may be subject to the gift tax depending on the amount

Thrivent minimum investment

  • $2,000 per Thrivent mutual fund without recurring contributions except for Thrivent Money Market Fund which is $1,000, or
  • $50 monthly recurring contribution for all Thrivent mutual funds except for the Thrivent Money Market Fund or Thrivent Limited Maturity Bond Fund which are $100 per month (also applies to subsequent investments)

Who has control

  • Prior to Age of Termination:  Custodian will have control and authorization to act on behalf of the minor child.
  • Once the former minor reaches age of termination (usually age 18-21, depending on state), he or she can use the assets for any purpose.
  • At Age of Termination and after (unless extension has been requested):  Former minor will have control and authorization to transact on the account.


  • UTMA assets belong to the minor child, so investment income may be subject to the "kiddie tax"
  • In 2019 the first $1,100 of a child’s unearned income is exempt from taxes, while the next $1,100 is taxed at the child’s rate (which is usually much lower than the parents' or other donor’s)
  • The Kiddie Tax applies to any of a child’s unearned income under $2,200. Any amount over will be taxed at the parents' tax rate
  • The Kiddie Tax may NOT apply depending on amount of unearned income


  • Funds must be used for the benefit of the minor child (other than parental obligations)
  • The custodian is responsible for ensuring proper usage of the funds
  • No requirement that dollars be used for education

Reaching Age of Termination

  • The custodian will relinquish all control to the former minor.
  • Account must be transferred to the former minor as sole owner.
  • The account will be restricted for investments and distributions until the account is transferred to the former minor.

Financial aid impact

  • Does this asset impact federal financial aid?
  • Yes, the account is considered an asset of the minor child


  • Semiannual low balance fee of $10 may apply for those accounts not maintaining minimum balance requirements.  See the Prospectus for more information.
  • Additional account fees may apply for certain services and are redeemed directly from your account. Examples include overnight delivery or wire fees.

Ready to start?

Other options